Sunday, June 9, 2013

SPARTAN SPRINT

    I just finished the 2013 Spartan Sprint and I feel like a boss! Today I went beyond what I thought possible. I did the race in Tuxedo, NY and let me tell you.........it was no joke! The ENTIRE race was on hills. I was worried about how much I could run but ironically I spent much more time walking. Some hills were so steep that we had to climb them, hands and all.

   
        I have never been more proud of myself! I feel like I accomplished something significant because I have never been an athlete. In high school and college I didn't even attempt to play sports. And I hated gym from middle school until high school graduation.

   
       Near the end I became lightheaded and a little dizzy. I didn't think I could finish but my teammates were there to support me. After a break and some deep breathing I kept walking climbing up the hill. I was so close that I could see the finish line. I highly recommend this to anyone who wants a challenge. We knew some of the typical obstacles that would be there (thanks to internet research) but we hadn't seen the course or the obstacles until we got there.
Being covered in mud wasn't as uncomfortable as I'd expected.  I  was so tired & sweaty that the water was actually refreshing. 

 As if losing 30 pounds (and counting) wasn't enough of a feat, I'm a real athlete now! I spent the first ten minutes after the race in utter shock.



 I could not believe that I had actually finished--and without doing burpees ( the penalty for failing an obstacle). And....I slipped several times but I never fell! 

After doing this, I am SO ready to run the next 5K that I do. I feel like if I can do this, I can do ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Yes, I jumped through fire. I didn't look as cool as this chick though. 

This reminded me of the speed and agility workouts with ladders from Asylum.
Sun's out, gun's out! 
The barbed wire seemed to last forever...but I didn't cut myself or snag my naps . Woo hoo!
         




Are you up for the challenge? If so, here's a few tips: 

  • Do NOT wear cotton. That includes undergarments. I wore dri-fit type stuff and I'm SO glad that I did. 
  • You can get shoes with traction-if you feel like it. I wore my same sneakers that I've had for the last year. I'm glad I didn't invest in some new shoes. Doing the race with muddy, wet shoes wasn't as difficult as I'd imagined. 
  • Drink water like it's your job. I think I got lightheaded at the end because although I guzzled water the night before and had some that morning, I could have had more. 
  • Train. Maybe this should have been number one. We did Tap Out, Turbo Fire and Insanity Asylum as a team, and we also ran (jogged) on our own a few times per week. We trained for 2 months and I'm SO glad that we did. Insanity Asylum really prepared me for the agility and full body muscle work that was necessary to get through this.
  • Bring a shower. There were "showers"-a hose on  a wooden platform which did help. When I got back to my car I used soap and a gallon jug of water to wash myself more thoroughly. I brought old towels to dry off and change (I did a lot of work under that towel!) and riding home clean(er) was a pleasure. I also covered my floor and seats in garbage bags so that I couldn't mess them up. Another important move.
We put on our shirts after we washed off. We each had names based on our fave exercises. I'm Quad Queen

Would you ever do a Spartan Sprint? Let me know in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment