They say variety is the spice of life (and don't ask me who "they" is) and its true. When it comes to healthy eating, I'm basically a snack attacker. I don't really prepare "normal" meals like say, eggs, toast and a piece of fruit. Since I'm often rushing out of the house I keep some breakfast at work or grab something from home as I leave. This week I've been having yogurt and a Naked Smoothie an hour or two later. Before my...."lady time" I tend to get pretty ravenous so i ve been eating yogurt, fruit and hummus. Oh how I love hummus. I eat it daily. Its low in calories if you watch your servings. I've also traded out my Ritz crackers for salt free rice cakes which taste just dandy (yes, I just said dandy) with the hummus. So I'm able to have multiple flavors and textures, be full, and eat only 300 calories! Its a total win!
Often people think that eating healthy means you can't eat what you love. I believe eating healthy simple means eating what loves you back. Those things that are satisfying yet not artery clogging. We're blessed with a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, and there's lots of "less processed" food (like hummus and yogurt) to substitute your steak,egg, and cheese sandwhich.
That's why its good to have a variety of healthy foods around. That way you have choices and it feels good knowing they're all good for you! So right now in my work fridge I've got a Naked smoothie (I may be addicted), flavored seltzer (I'm definitely addicted), romaine lettuce, two types of salad dressing, chicken, feta cheese, hummus, and my refillable water bottle. This gives me lunch options. So I can have hot chicken and Greek salad or add the chicken to my salad. I'm picking up an onion,pine nuts and black olives today. Salad only gets boring if you actually believe you can eat the same thing every single day. I tried. I failed. I realized the importance of variety and now healthy eating is MUCH easier than before.
What are you doing to spice up your healthy eating?
Friday, June 1, 2012
Need food with flavor? Add some variety.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment