Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Myth: What You Don't Know Won't Hurt You

I am not one of those people that goes around telling all my family and friends the truth about everything they eat and drink. Most people don't want to hear it and quite frankly, I'm not here to shove anything down someone's throat (no pun intended). I do however, believe in sharing with those who want to know. I want everyone to know exactly what they're putting in their bodies. Whatever decision they make after that is totally on them. I do believe there's power in knowing. Perhaps that's the very reason many people don't want to know the truth. It makes them responsible for the actions that follow. 


      


     The American Institute for Cancer Research and the World Cancer Research Fund released a study and found a link between processed meats and cancer.In fact, the World Cancer Research Fund says that "processed meats are too dangerous for human consumption."
 Hot dogs in particular, significantly increase the risk of colon cancer. According to the chief medical officer of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine:
"Hot dogs can cause cancer, and like cigarettes they should come with a warning label,” says PCRM chief medical officer Ulka Agarwal, M.D. “Just one hot dog a day increases a person’s colorectal cancer risk by 21 percent. Add to that other processed meats people could be eating daily, like bacon, pepperoni, and sausage, and the health risk multiplies.”
Still not convinced? According to a Harvard study ( it's HARVARD, people!) eating processed meats on a daily basis can "increase the risk of premature death by 20 percent."

So What is Processed Meat?
Fresh meat is well...meat. Processed meat is what's sold in grocery stores. The extra ingredients are added to prolong the shelf life. Sodium nitrite is usually included and this is what causes cancer. The USDA actually tried to ban sodium nitrite in the 1970s. 
MSG is also typically in these products and it damages the cells of the body. Trying to lose weight? Well this stuff also leads to a loss of appetite control. Oh and reproductive disorders as well. 
      I don't think the taste of processed meat is worth the risks. But there are some out there who are fine with increasing their risk of cancer for some sausage....I don't think I'll ever understand that though.



          



What about you? Are you still "going ham" for ham? Let me know below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment